Call for Applications
STUDIO hosted & supported Co-Taught Interdisciplinary Courses
The Frank-Ratchye STUDIO for Creative Inquiry invites applications from full-time CMU faculty for STUDIO hosted and supported interdisciplinary courses with an emphasis on creative research. The course should respond to the STUDIO’s mission. The STUDIO will host one class per semester and thanks to the support of Deeplocal, whose generous gift will provide a budget for classroom supplies, equipment and visitors.
Classes eligible for this opportunity must:
- Be “interdisciplinary” which can include any of the following qualities:
- Classes for non-majors.
- Co-Taught by faculty in different home Schools.
- Be open to two or more majors.
- Interdisciplinary practices/contexts broadly defined within the classwork.
- And more! Please use the application form to describe what interdisciplinary means in your classroom.
- Be taught by full-time, currently employed CMU faculty.
- This class should be considered as a part of your teaching load as no additional stipend is provided to the faculty members.
- Communicate with your Department and/or School Heads prior to applying in order to ensure feasibility and support of your plans to teach in the STUDIO.
- Applicants should consider the STUDIO, its affordances and constraints when considering if it can host the proposed course. Please note we are a “dry lab”.
- The maximum number of students cannot exceed 25 and cannot be less than 15.
- The class must be able to work in a way that allows the STUDIO to convert into a venue as necessary. Staff will assist in these efforts however instructors should note that multi-day set ups must be scheduled at the top of the semester.
- This class does not need to be new or specifically designed for the STUDIO. However previously taught classes will need to meet all requirements above and may require some changes to do so.
- Have class times between 8AM – 4PM – no evening classes due to STUDIO programming. Classes that end at 5PM must be able to end at 4PM on occasion, as pre-arranged with STUDIO admin.
Application must include – Form here (only available via Andrew IDs).
- Name(s), title(s), school/department/college affiliation(s) of the faculty
- Semesters that this class could be taught: S24 is currently available.
- Link to professional website or CMU profile.
- Course Description
- A brief statement describing how this course supports creative and interdisciplinary research.
- Class details including: ideal # of students, scholarly studies served (a blanket: “all” is not acceptable, please be more specific), please describe any unique needs of the class such as specific equipment, etc..
- If you’ve taught this course before please include a syllabus and describe how you’d like to use the STUDIO to augment the course.
- If you have not taught this course before please include a brief statement of intent describing why this class now and why you’d like to teach it in the STUDIO
Applications will be reviewed by a committee made up of CFA faculty and staff. Please make no assumptions of your audience’s knowledge and work to be clear and concise with your application. If the committee has questions or requires clarification they will reach out to you. The decision will ultimately be made via two primary factors: the class will be uniquely served and pedagogically improved by its presence in the STUDIO and secondly, the class serves the ultimate purpose of encouraging interdisciplinary creative research.