“Receiptify” is an online web application developed by Michelle Liu, a first-year undergraduate studying Information Systems in Dietrich College. Liu’s project generates realistic-looking “receipts” from users’ Spotify playlists, and was used more than one million times during its first few months. Receiptify was supported in part by Microgrant #2021-008 from the Frank-Ratchye Fund for Art @ the Frontier.
Examining the media we consume— in this case, music— can offer a glimpse into our lives at a given period of time. Receiptify, a web application that generates a user’s most-played Spotify, Last.fm, or Apple Music tracks in the form of a receipt, allows individuals to capture these moments in a shareable format. This data was modeled to replicate a wrinkled-up receipt, because receipts, while often discarded and forgotten, can serve as a powerful tool to capture moments and stories throughout the passage of time.
Users can log in to their desired music service and select a time period— one month ago, six months ago, or all-time— and Receiptify creates a receipt, personalized to the user’s listening history. Song titles and artist names are displayed as the “item” on the receipt, ranking is displayed as “quantity,” and song length is displayed as “amount.” This receipt can then be downloaded as a png file to share with friends and family— a feature that has garnered it millions of users across the globe.
Receiptify has been featured in the following press:
- Dwilson, Stephanie. “Receiptify: What Is the Viral Spotify Plug-in & How Does It Work?” Heavy.com, 9/2020.
- Gallagher, Alex. “This App Will Turn Your Top Spotify Tracks Into Very Aesthetic Receipts“. Musicfeeds.com.au, 9/23/2020.
- Harano, Lauren. “It’s Music to Our Ears! This Cool Website Shows You Your Top Songs in the Form of a Receipt“. PopSugar.com, 4/14/2021.
- Lim, Cherrie. “Receiptify Turns Your Top Tracks on Spotify Into Shopping Receipts“. Bandwagon.asia, 9/21/2020.
- Richards, Jared. “This Spotify Plug-In Turns Your Top Tracks Into An Instagram Ready Receipt“. Junkee.com, 9/21/2020.
- Shennan, Rhona. “Receiptify: how to create a custom Spotify receipt of your top played tracks“. Yorkshire Evening Post, 9/23/2020.
- Yu, Alexandra. “Interview with Michelle Liu“. The CMU Tartan, 2/7/2021. [PDF]