Deep Lab Lecture Series
The Deep Lab Lecture Series presented four evenings of free lecture presentations by a dozen leading experts on digital culture. Lectures took place 5:00-6:30pm, December 8-11, 2014 in the STUDIO.
Deep Lab is a collective of cyberfeminist researchers, organized by STUDIO Fellow Addie Wagenknecht to examine how privacy, security, surveillance, and anonymity are problematized in the arts and society. The Deep Lab participants, all women, are an international group of new-media artists, visualization designers, data scientists, software engineers, hackers, journalists and theoreticians, who are engaged in the critical assessment of contemporary digital culture. In the second week of December, these experts will work at the STUDIO on an accelerated pressure project, and deliver four evenings of public presentations: the Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Dates/Time: Monday through Thursday (inclusive), December 8-11, 2014, 5pm
Location: The STUDIO (Room CFA-111 in the CMU College of Fine Arts)
Google Map: http://bit.ly/cmucfa (GPS: 40.441544,-79.942907)
Hashtag: #deeplab. Free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served.
Monday 12/8: Addie Wagenknecht, Allison Burtch, Runa Sandvik
Tuesday 12/9: Harlo Holmes, Ingrid Burrington
Wednesday 12/10: Maral Pourkazemi, Denise Caruso, Lindsay Howard
Thursday 12/11: Maddy Varner, Jen Lowe, Lorrie Cranor
The Deep Lab Lecture Series presenters: @wheresaddie @irl @dmcar @harlo @lifewinning @datatelling @Lindsay_Howard @lorrietweet @maralllo @mlvarner @runasand
The series will feature presentations by:
- Addie Wagenknecht (artist, director Deep Lab)
- Allison Burtch (researcher, artist, activist)
- Denise Caruso (journalist; senior research scholar, CMU EPP)
- Harlo Holmes (software developer, director of metadata for the Guardian Project)
- Ingrid Burrington (independent researcher, artist)
- Jen Lowe (data scientist, researcher, writer)
- Lindsay Howard (independent curator)
- Lorrie Cranor (director of the CyLab Usable Privacy and Security [CUPS] Laboratory, CMU)
- Maddy Varner (artist, activist; undergraduate student, CMU School of Art)
- Maral Pourkazemi (visualization designer, artist)
- Runa Sandvik (privacy and security researcher, Tor Project)
Jen Lowe :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Maddy Varner :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Lorrie Faith Cranor :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Maral Pourkazemi :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Denise Caruso :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Harlo Holmes :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Ingrid Burrington :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Allison Burtch :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.
Addie Wagenknecht :: Deep Lab Lecture Series.