The STUDIO for Creative Inquiry is hosting a computational embroidery workshop on Saturday February 25th from 10am to 6pm. Artist Alumni and computer driven stitch fanatics David Perry and Tatyana Mustakos will be visiting to lead this workshop, along with guest presentations from fellow STUDIO alums Huw Messie and Lea Albaugh.
Participants: Please bring a laptop and a thumb drive. Download the following programs before the day of the workshop
- Download and install Processing 4 prior to the workshop.
- Install Java on your Machine
- Download the PEmbroider ZIP from the Github
- If you’ve never downloaded a processing library, follow these steps.
- Decompress your ZIP file in finder or file explorer
- Open processing, and open the “preferences” (Processing > Preferences) in the top left of the screen
- Copy the file path for your Processing folder
- Use finder/file explorer to open that folder (mac users can use the “Go” > “Go to folder” function to make this faster)
- Paste the entire PEmbroider folder into the “Libraries” folder.
- Quit Processing and Open it again
- Confirm that the library was imported by clicking File > Examples. A pop-up window should include “contributed libraries” containing a “Pembroider” folder.
- (9:30) Participants arrive
- (10:00 – 10:30) Introduction to STUDIO and Visiting Artists/Instructors
- (10:30 – 12:00) Introduction to Embroidery + PEmbroider (Tatyana Mustakos)
- Introductory lesson on computational embroidery and using PEmbroider
- (12:00-1:15) Lunch with Zoom Talk by Huw Messie
- Discussing Embroidered animation
- (1:15-2:00) Lea Albaugh talk + Q&A
- Bringing her E-textiles class
- (2:10 – 3:00) Typography & Shape Exercise (David Perry)
- Prompt for final task before open work time
- (3-6) Open working time with optional prompt
- (5:30 – 6) Begin Clean up